This video contains several suggestions to help you and your child enjoy reading together, and to help your child become more well-prepared to begin reading on his own.
- Help your child make a personal connection to the book.
- Set a purpose.
- Make predictions.
- Pause occasionally and review what has happened so far.
- Reread the book and read it differently.
- What did you see?
- What did you notice?
- Why do you think that happened?
- What are you thinking now?
- What surprised you?
- What have you learned?
- Does this remind you of anything you have done before?
- Use pictures.
- Encourage you child to predict what will happen next.
- Reread to clarify meaning.
- Relate what your child read to his own life.
- Act out parts of the story or use different voices for different characters.
- Name and describe objects and events.
- Point out things of special interest.
- Make personal connections.
- Create reenactments.
- Perform retellings.